IMA-Europe provides sector-based representation for industrial minerals. The Association is particularly focused on representation at European Union (EU) institutional level and coordinates contacts with national and international authorities.
IMA Europe is involved in all non-commercial issues related to the properties and safe use of minerals, from their extraction and processing through to their end-use applications. Health and safety at the workplace, environmental protection, product safety and awareness about the importance of industrial minerals for society are at the core of IMA Europe’s priorities.
IMA-Europe ensures that the industrial minerals industry at large benefits from the sharing of non-sensitive information and plays a supporting role in the promotion of best practices.
Within the EU regulatory field, IMA-Europe:
- Keeps its members updated on relevant developments in European policy-making;
- Provides National and European authorities with accurate and relevant information about industrial minerals;
- Represents the industrial minerals sector and provides documented and co-ordinated positions.
IMA-Europe's activities include close links to the scientific community:
- The Association keeps itself updated on scientific developments.
- IMA-Europe provides scientific support to its members and generates and coordinates reviews and research projects.
- IMA-Europe takes part in standardisation work at EU and international level such as ISO (International Organisation for Standardisation) and CEN (European Committee for Standardisation).
IMA-Europe aims to create public awareness of the importance of industrial minerals and to present an enlightened image of the industry. It was a.o. the initiator of the European Minerals Day initiative (www.mineralsday.eu).